1847 — The Lewiston Falls Weekly Journal was initial printed less than the joint ownership of Col. William H. Waldron, a printer by trade and Alonzo Garcelon, who afterwards turned governor.
1856 — Nelson Dingley Jr., an staff of the Lewiston Falls Weekly Journal, bought a 50 percent-desire in the paper and then bought it in 1857.
Feb. 16, 1857 — The very first day by day Journal appeared and lasted 27 times, the duration of a murder trial in Auburn. When the trial ended, the paper reverted again to weekly publication.
April 12, 1861 — With information of the 1st pictures fired on Fort Sumter placing the stage for the Civil War, Dingley once more went to a daily structure to offer ongoing protection. On April 20, 1861 he revealed the Lewiston Day by day Night Journal.
February 20, 1893 — The Lewiston Each day sunshine was introduced by founder Henry Aser Wing. The very first problem, revealed through a blizzard, was four webpages extended and marketed for two cents a copy. Subscribers: 1,700. In a calendar year, the circulation had virtually doubled to 3,200.
Late 1890s — The Journal started publication of the tabloid-sized Journal Journal “in response to the normal drive for a purely literary and residence section of the newspaper.”
1898 — George B. Wooden assumes ownership of the Lewiston Each day Sunshine. His nephew, Louis Bartlett Costello, is employed as general supervisor. Places of work have been moved from 21 Lisbon St. to 102 Park St.
1921 — The Lewiston Everyday Sunlight handed the 10,000 circulation mark.
1922 — A Duplex Tubular press went into procedure for the Lewiston Evening Journal. It experienced a utmost output of 16,000 papers for each hour and a limit of 32 internet pages.
1926 — The morning Sunshine acquired the Lewiston Evening Journal from Nelson Dingley, enlarged the plant at 104 Park St. and moved the whole procedure there. The two papers continued to contend with each and every other.
1936 — In order to make the papers readily available for shipping and delivery, they experienced to be flown across the Androscoggin River from Lewiston to Auburn simply because the South Bridge was absent and the North Bridge was impassable owing to flooding.
1937 — The important advertisers in the Lewiston Day by day Solar ended up Peck’s, Sears and Montgomery Ward.
1943 — The Lewiston Each day Sunlight handed the 25,000 circulation mark.
1945 — At age 91, George Wood died leaving the papers to his nephew, Louis B. Costello.
1950s — Somewhere around 1,800 lbs of lead were utilised every day to publish the paper using the linotype equipment of the time.
By 1956 — The newspaper was five cents a copy.
1959 — Louis B. Costello died. His son, Russell H. Costello, assumed presidency of the Solar.
1960s — The “paste up” system of laying out web pages was becoming formulated.
1962 — The merged circulation of the Daily Sunlight and the Evening Journal was nearing 50,000.
Late 1960s — A Comp graphic program enabled composers for the initially tint style and design and print their advertisements on computer systems. The computer system could also print Linked Press wire copy, whose perforated tape was formerly fed into line casting equipment.
1986 — The paper commenced working coloration shots on a frequent foundation.
1988 — The Journal was named Newspaper of the Year by New England Newspaper Association.
1989 — Equally the Journal and the Sun-Journal/Sunday have been named Newspaper of the Yr in their respective classes by NENA.
1989 — The Solar and the Journal merged as the new Solar-Journal.
1991 and 1992 — The Sunlight-Journal/Sunday was named Newspaper of the 12 months by NENA.
1997 — The Solar Journal and its Sunday paper underwent a redesign to much better hook up you with your group.
1962 — The new 70-ton significant pace-Common push was marveled for its colour ability and ability to print 40,000 papers an hour. A new plant addition was manufactured in the rear of the Sun’s Park Road headquarters to home the 16-foot push.
Aug. 1, 1979 — Russell Costello changed the just about 20-year old Goss Universal press with the additional contemporary Goss Urbanite.
1980s — Technological innovations: started outfitting the newsroom with computer system terminals a dish on the roof permitted wire service news to arrive via satellite.
1983 — James Costello, son of Russell Costello, turned released of the Sun, although his father remained as president until finally his loss of life.
1983 — James Costello started the Sunday paper.
2017 — Lewiston Sunshine Journal sold to MaineToday Media owner Reade Brower.
2021 — Announcement manufactured that Sun Journal will be going printing functions to South Portland.
May 31, 2021 — Goss Urbanite push in provider considering the fact that 1979, is retired.
Up coming »